Tuesday, April 18, 2006

The Games That Play Us

I played in the heads up tournament at the VFW this weekend…it wasn't all I thought it was gonna be. There were only 11 people in it, and luck of the draw gave me a bye in the first round. The top 4 people got paid (3rd and 4th got their money back), so I only had to win one match to get in the money, which I won pretty easily.

My second match would send me to the finals if I won…which I didn't. I've never played with the person that I played, but he seemed to be a pretty decent player. I had him on the ropes more than once, but I just couldn't put him away. We played for about 45 minutes, and in that time he picked up these hands: AA, KK (twice), JJ, 1010, and 88…he got the Aces and Kings on back to back hands…it's kinda hard to beat someone who is on a rush like that. Another hand I flopped top pair only to lose to his runner runner 10's to give him trips…very frustrating. I think the most frustrating hand is when I had a 3 to 1 chip lead and I put him all in with pocket 10's…he of course called with pocket Kings. The first card off the deck was a 10, giving me a set and the lead…but the turn came a King, and that's all she wrote on that hand. He played well and caught cards when he needed to, so I can't really complain…that's poker.

I played one hand badly that might have cost me the match…but I won the hand. I was on the button and called with 77, hoping to flop a set and take a huge pot. Well the first card off the deck was a 7, and he bet 200 (out of a starting stack of 2,000) after the flop. I just called and a deuce hit the turn. He bet another 300, and this is where I messed up. The board read K J 7 2, and I wanted to raise him in case he had a straight draw…so I moved all in for another 1,100 more. He thought for awhile and eventually folded, but I think I could've called here and saw what happened on the river…I'm pretty sure he was probably drawing dead, and I might have been able to "take his legs out" if I would've slowplayed it a little more. I guess that's just a mistake I'll have to learn from.
I'm going to try to play more…I've been playing a few more sit n go's and I've been doing fairly well, so I'm going to try to play at least 6-7 a week, and see how things go. Next weekend I have the 4 horseman tournament…it would be nice to make a good showing there…we'll see.
Nothing else to report really.

I spent Easter Sunday with Kylie and her family, and that was nice. I got to meet her grandparents and one of her uncles, and they seemed pretty cool. I got to meet the family, so she must not hate me…that's always a plus.

"Most of our life is a series of images. They pass us by like towns on the highway. But sometimes a moment stuns us as it happens. And we know that this instant is more than a fleeting image. We know that this moment, every part of it, will live on forever"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

where do you get all your quotes, because i like them- a whole lot

Shawn Justice said...

I usually just search the internet for quote websites, and pick them out from there...