Saturday, May 14, 2005

A Humbling Experience

Last night I had the chance to visit the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall. Not the one in Washington D.C., but a replica about 1/10 of the size that has been traveling around the country. I made the trip with my parents, and I'm very glad I had the chance to see it. Now...I don't pretend to know everything involved with the War, or even all the politics, because I wasn't alive then. But it really makes me sick to think of how the soldiers were treated when they returned. While I understand alot of Americans didn't agree with the war, it's not like the soldiers wanted to be over there. They were simply following orders and serving their country. There were more than 58,000 people killed over in Vietnam, and to think that the soldiers that came back were treated the way they were treated really just makes me sad.

My dad served in the war, and actually was awarded a bronze star with a V, which indicates "bravery in ground combat", when his helicopter had to land in the jungle to save another crew whose helicopter had been shot down. It was a very humbling experience seeing my father react to all the exhibits and things that were present at this event. I really had never seen him like that, and I could almost see him reliving some of his experiences right there in front of me.

On the ride home, the subject of Jane Fonda came up. What she did in Vietnam is an absolute act of treason, and she should have been put in jail. That women absolutely disgusts me, and I will never see a movie she is in.

Well, I'm not sure what the point of this post is other than to share with everyone what a humbling experience that was. Everyone of us Americans should be grateful for what those soldiers did, and what the soldiers of today do to protect our freedoms.

God Blesss

"Lest We Forget"

No comments: